Webber Retirement Opens Another Door For Montoya

36RD0180
 

Former Formula One driver turned WEC champion Mark Webber announced his retirement from motorsport on Thursday.

The news of Webber’s retirement opens a potential new avenue for Juan Pablo Montoya. The Colombian lost his Penske seat to Josef Newgarden at the end of the season and has said that he is in no rush to decide his future plans.

Earlier this season Montoya stated that he has unfinished business in the Verizon IndyCar Series. The Colombian who returned to the series with Team Penske in 2014 won the Indianapolis 500 in 2015 and finished runner up in the championship to Scott Dixon. In 2016, however he endured a tough season however despite this he took one victory at the season opening Firestone Grand Prix of St Petersburg.

There remains a number of options for Montoya in the Verizon IndyCar Series with seats still available at Dale Coyne Racing, Ed Carpenter Racing and potentially Chip Ganassi Racing.

Montoya tested with Porsche in the WEC at the Bahrain International Circuit in November of last year and ended his day in the car as the fastest fastest rookie. Montoya had been offered a role within Penske but Montoya has made it known he wants to remain in the Verizon IndyCar Series for at least one more year.

However the possibility of a drive with Porsche in WEC could be an opportunity too big to pass up so watch this space.

3 comments

  • Ed

    Planets are aligning for JPMs move to the WEC. He has proven experience in prototypes and on his first test was fastest. Imagine if he did it full time. He has a good relationship with Porsche’s team principal who he knew from Williams. Already said he will be in Europe, and didn’t commit himself to a full time Indy ride.. Was invited by the FIA to conduct Mexico GP podium interviews. Then Webber announces his retirement and Porsche doesn’t announce his replacement? Mmmm I think Porsche will announce JPM’s joining for 2017 full ride after the last race in November. And that will be the best news in Motorsport this year!!

    • Ben

      Unfortunately a move to Porsche is out of the question as Tim Cindric confirmed last week that Montoya would not be permitted to race for another team also Penske are looking into expanding into sportscar racing like Ganassi did. It is my understanding that should this happen Juan will be involved in that programme but he will also continue to work with the IndyCar team preparing for the Indianapolis 500 in mAY.

  • Ed

    Well that would be really unfair… Just like Ed Carpenter said he would hate to loose Newgarden, but wouldn’t be in the way of such opportunity, Penske should not be in the way of an opportunity for JPM to be with one of the top teams in the world. He is the only driver in the foreseeable future with a real chance at the triple crown. That to me would be a mistake by Jpm….. Just like staying 7 years with a mediocre NASCAR ganassi team was.

Leave a Reply