No Official Decision
Team Penske’s Helio Castroneves has confirmed that he has made no official decision about his Verizon IndyCar Series future amid speculation that the three time Indianapolis 500 winner is set to move to Roger Penske’s new sports car programme in 2018.
Speaking in Toronto ahead of qualifying for the Honda Indy Toronto, the Brazilian who goes into Sunday’s race just eight points behind championship leader Scott Dixon said that that he is just focused on racing and on trying to win the championship.
To be honest, the only future I am thinking about is the race
Castroneves also said that he hopes to make any decision that is to be made a tough one for the team at the end of the season.
Paddock Eye understands that Team Penske will scale back their full-time Verizon IndyCar Series involvement to three cars from 2018 with both Castroneves (if he is leaving) and Juan Pablo Montoya returning for the Month of May with the IndyCar Grand Prix of Indianapolis and the 102nd Running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil.
Penske’s plans should become clearer next month when they unveil their car for the WeatherTech Sports Car championship.
Castroneves heads into Sunday’s Honda Indy Toronto off the back of his first win in 53 races following victory at the Iowa Corn 300 last weekend. The Brazilian has been extremely quick so far this weekend, topping the times in the opening practice session and ending this morning’s final session in second place behind his team mate and reigning Verizon IndyCar Series champion Simon Pagenaud and should be a serious contender to claim his fourth Verizon P1 Award of the season.