Dixon Receives His Astor Cup At The Of Season IndyCar Banquet
Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon of Chip Ganassi Racing collected his fifth Astor Cup on Tuesday night at the annual Verizon IndyCar Series prize giving banquet which marks the official end of the 2018 IndyCar season.
The Iceman who drives the No.9 PNC Bank Honda won his fifth title last weekend in Sonoma.
Along with the Astor Cup, Dixon also received his fifth championship ring along with a cheque for $50,000 for the Sunoco Diamond Performance Award for winning the most number of races this season.
Team owner Chip Ganassi also received a replica of the Astor Cup. Dixon and his No.9 crew including team managing director Mike Hull, Blair Julien, Scott Harner and Barry Wanser received the Penske Racing Shocks Award. Dixon was also awarded a check for $1,000,000 for winning the championship.
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Robert Wickens who drives the No.6 Lucas Oil Honda was awarded the 2018 Sunoco Rookie of the Year award which was presented to his finacee Karli as the Canadian continues his recovery from the injuries he suffered in the accident at Pocono Raceway last month.
Other winners on the night included:
- Alexander Rossi Andretti Autosport who finished in second place.
- Will Power, Team Penske who finished in third place.
- The Verizon P1 Season Award went to 2017 champion Josef Newgarden of Team Penske
- Manufacturer Champion Award Honda
- Firestone Drive to the Finish Award – Alexander Rossi, Andretti Autosport
- TAG-Heuer ‘Don’t Crack Under Pressure’ Award – ($25,000) Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing.
- Indy Family Foundation Award – Racing For Cancer (Ryan Hunter Reay, Andretti Autosport).
- Xtrac Championship Award – Alexander Rossi – Andretti Autosport
- 2018 Fan Favourite Award – James Hinchcliffe – Schmidt Peterson Motorsports