Alonso Could Return To The Indianapolis 500 As A One Off
McLaren CEO Zak Brown has confirmed that Fernando Alonso who retire from Formula One at the end of this season could return to IndyCar to compete in the Indianapolis 500 as a one off but he has refused to put a time frame on when that might be.
It was confirmed on Friday in Austin that McLaren will not pursue a full-time entry in the Verizon IndyCar Series in 2019.
On Saturday Alonso said that despite the rumors he had a never intended to compete in IndyCar full time in 2019. Speaking at the Circuit of the Americas on Saturday, 2017 IndyCar champion Josef Newgarden said he looked forward to one day competing against Alonso again in the Indianapolis 500.
Zak Brown said earlier this year that Alonso’s racing schedule would not allow him to compete in the Indianapolis 500 in 2018 and this could also be the case in 2019 as even though he is leaving Formula One he will still be racing in the FIA World Endurance Championship with Toyota Gazoo Racing.