Greensmith Added To The M-Sport WRC Line-Up For Portugal
The M-Sport Ford WRC team announced on Thursday that highly rated driver Gus Greensmith will drive a third Ford Fiesta at Rally Portugal.
Greensmith joins Elfyn Evans and Teemu Suninen at the event.
Making the announcement on Twitter, the M-Sport Ford WRC team said:
And we’re delighted to be giving another talented youngster an opportunity at the very highest level of competition – @GreensmithGus and @EAERallying taking to the wheel of the third EcoBoost-powered Ford Fiesta WRC at this year’s @rallydeportugal #WRC #FordPerformance https://t.co/Jtjaubctr1
M-Sport have also announcement that Greensmith with compete for them in the WRC feeder series WRC2.
Speaking about the news, Gus said:
I’m really proud to be driving for M-Sport Ford in WRC 2 Pro, and even prouder to be making my WRC debut in the team’s third Ford Fiesta WRC at Rallye de Portugal. M-Sport Ford is made up of highly motivated individuals and it’s a privilege to learn and work alongside them.
“I’ve been a part of the M-Sport family for a while now, and you can feel the direction and motivation of the team. It’s where I wanted to be and where I’ll have the best opportunity with the best programme to progress as a driver in 2019.
“I’m also pleased to have Elliott [Edmondson] alongside me this year, and believe it could be a successful long-term partnership between us.
“I came close to a maiden WRC 2 win a couple of times last year, and that’s something I am not willing to let pass me by in 2019; and with a new Fiesta R5 on the way this summer, I’m sure we’ll have a fantastic package to deliver the results we’re all aiming for.
“But the highlight of my year will undoubtedly be Rally de Portugal, and it’s a dream come true to be making my WRC debut. I am very grateful to M-Sport for giving me this opportunity, and to my family who have supported me from the very beginning so that one day I would be able show my potential on the world stage.”
Greensmith is joined in the WRC2 M-Sport line up by Lukasz Pieniazek who commented on the news saying:
This is another step forward in my rally career and I am excited to join the M-Sport family. Thanks to their knowledge and great experience, I believe I will be able to reach the next level as a rally driver. We have a great programme in our calendar and I can’t wait to kick off the season.”
M-Sport Ford WRC team principal Richard Millener commented on the news saying:
We’re really excited by the new WRC 2 Pro Championship and keen to see what both Gus and Lukasz can do as they progress the next phase of their respective careers.
“Gus has been with us for a number of years and during that time we’ve seen him develop rally-winning pace alongside a more consistent performance. He was rewarded with four podiums last year and came close to securing a maiden win on more than one occasion – something I don’t think is too far away.
“It will also be really interesting to see what he can do when he gets behind the wheel of the Fiesta WRC in Portugal. He tested the car at the end of last year and we’re proud to give another young driver this opportunity at the very highest level.
“Lukasz is working with us for the first time this year but we’re aware of his performances – following his progress as we do with all young drivers who show promise coming through the ranks.
“With two years in WRC 2 already under his belt, he’s ready to take the next step and is determined to learn as much as he can to improve both on and off the stage.
“There’s a lot of experience at M-Sport and we’re keen to share that with Lukasz as he develops his skills as part of the M-Sport family