Indianapolis Motor Speedway and NTT IndyCar Series owner Roger Pensle says he expects ther to be a crowd of 250,000 race fans at the 105th running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge on May 30.

The race was held behind closed doors and moved to August last year due to COVID-19, however, with over 100 million people vaccinated in the United States, The Captain is confident of a strong turn out at the race.

Speaking during a Zoom conference call on Monday, Mr Penske said:

We’re not making any predictions at all because anything I would say today could be completely wrong. Our goal is to have 250,000. I mean, that’s what we want to have. It’s outside. We’ve got the biggest stadium in the world here and it’s a matter of where we’re gonna be with the CDC and the governor and the mayor, so I don’t have any number that I’d want to hang my hat on. It just shows you the interest in the race and we’ve got a lot of people that are waiting, and we have our GA and what else we normally do on that weekend, but I think the good news is we’re gonna have the race and it will be limited or be open based on what the current numbers are. Right now, we’re at about 3.1 percent here in Marion county, which is good. It’s way down and I think with that it will hopefully be a big number. That’s what our hope is, but what we’ve done in the meantime we’ve been doing vaccinations here. We did 16,000 in three days and we’re getting ready to do a mass vaccination in April. We haven’t worked out the details yet with the state, but we think there’s an opportunity to make a big impact here, where we could give back to the community. WIth the size of our facility and what we were able to accomplish just in three days, we think we can really help this whole area here — the city of Indianapolis and the surrounding counties.”

Share This