KVSH Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais in the No.11 Team Hydroxycut Chevrolet took victory in a chaotic opening race in the opening race of the Chevrolet Dual in Detroit on Saturday afternoon.

It was the Frenchman’s second victory here in succession having won here last year in race 2.

Dale Coyne Racing’s Conor Daly scored his best ever Verizon IndyCar Series result as he brought the No.18 Jonathan Byrd’s Hospitality Honda home in second place just ahead of Juan Pablo Montoya in the No.2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet.

Graham Rahal in the No.15 United Rentals Honda ended the race in fourth place just ahead of Helio Castroneves who endured a tough race having qualified for the event in second place alongside team mate and pole sitter Simon Pagenaud and finished the race in 5th place just ahead of Carlos Munoz and Ryan Hunter Reay in the No.28 DHL Honda ending the race in 7th place just ahead of the No.83 Tresiba® Chevrolet while Tony Kanaan was ninth while Indianapolis 500 winner Alexander Rossi rounded out the top ten.

Takuma Sato was 11th for AJ Foyt Racing Enterprises just ahead of Dale Coyne Racing’s Gabby Chaves.

After starting race 1 from P1 Team Penske’s Simon Pagenaud ended the race in 13th place after running out of fuel on the last lap and coasting over the line just ahead of Josef Newgarden who had to settle for a 14th place for Ed Carpenter Racing. Mikhail Aleshin was 15th in the leading Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Honda. Marco Andretti in the No.27 Honda ended the race 16th place just ahead of Spencer Pigot who did a good job for Ed Carpenter Racing in his first race for the Chevrolet powered outfit ending the race 2 laps down.

James Hinchcliffe hit the wall and damaged his car and as a result of the team working on the car in the pits he went came home in 18th place five laps down.

Reigning series champion Scott Dixon retired from the race with a gearbox problem. It was a problematic race for Will Power who like Dixon had a gearbox issue but also clashed with team mate Juan Pablo Montoya and lost a wheel nut on his car and retired from the race. Max Chilton had a very hard hit early on in the race retiring but he walked away unhurt while Jack Hawksworth never made the start of the race for AJ Foyt Racing.

Share This