Penske Entertainment Corporation President and CEO Mark Miles says the NTT IndyCar Series have a contingency plan in place should the series be unable to travel Canada for the Honda Indy Toronto which is due to take place from 9-11 July.
Speaking during a Zoom media conference call earlier this week in the build-up to the start of the 2021 NTT IndyCar Series season this weekend at Barber Motorsports Park, Miles said:
We hope that we can race in Toronto. It’s on the calendar. That’s the plan. As you know very well up there, there was some clarity provided up to like June 1st, and I hope that that date wasn’t a coincidence from a racing point of view, that it left open to window to see if things could come together for us to be up there this summer.
If not, I don’t think there will be much opportunity to move it. The rest of the schedule is pretty full and there’s so much going on in Toronto, and that street race requires a lot of planning.
So we would probably look to replace it on a one-off basis, and I think we have great options for how to do that, even if we learn about it at the last minute.
IndyCar is set to make its inaugural trip to Nashville for the Big Machine Music City Grand Prix on August 8 which is the event immediately following Toronto so it will be interesting to see what happens if the race in Toronto is canceled.