Formula One Chairman and CEO Stefano Domenicali says that the sport will see an American racing driver competing in the sport in three to four years. Speaking ahead of this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona on Friday, Domenicali commented saying:
We are working with teams, trying to understand what is really the possibility for American drivers to come to the attention of F1 teams in the short term. This could come. I don’t see that being very pragmatic and realistic, coming in the next two or three years but maybe after, yes.
I know there are teams watching good drivers that if they are ready would be a big boost for the American fans because as we know, drivers create enthusiasm and passion, the people want to see these guys, and therefore the hope we have is that very, very soon we have American drivers competing against the others in F1.
Domenicali’s comments are completely unfair and unwarranted as last month, following his NTT IndyCar Series victory in the Firestone Grand Prix of St Petersburg, Colton Herta who drives the No.26 Gainbridge Honda has been linked with a move to Formula One, however, the Californian says he doesn’t want to join a midfield team, he would want to join a team like Ferrari.
Herta is not the only IndyCar Series driver to have been linked to Formula One, Team Penske’s Josef Newgarden, who is a two-time NTT IndyCar Series champion was linked with a move to Formula One. Alexander Rossi who won the Indianapolis 500 as a rookie in 2016 is the last American driver to have compete in Formula One after racing in five Grand Prix for the Marussia F1 Team.