The ABB FIA Formula E world championship revealed their Gen3 car which will debut in Season 9 of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship, where some of the world’s greatest manufacturers race wheel-to-wheel on the streets of iconic global cities.
Speaking about the new car, Jérôme D’Ambrosio, Team Principal, ROKiT Venturi Racing
“The Gen3 car showcases the innovation, performance and tangible capabilities of electric vehicle technology and fully embodies what Formula E stands for. Visually, the car looks extremely futuristic but the most exciting aspect is beneath the bodywork. This car is more powerful and lighter than anything we have raced in the past but it’s also the most technologically advanced electric racing car in the world. It marks a massive step forward in almost every area and like the step from Gen1 to Gen2, the Gen3 is a testament to Formula E’s incredible contribution to the validation of electric vehicles. I’m very excited to see what this new generation of racing holds.”
Edoardo Mortara of ROKiT Venturi Racing said:
“In terms of technical innovation, on paper the Gen3 car looks very impressive. It should mark a massive step forward performance-wise in comparison to the current Gen2 and the car has quite a striking appearance. As a driver we are always hunting for the edge – extra grip, increased performance and the optimal package so I’m looking forward to seeing how the car handles and how competitive it will be on track.”
ROKiT Venturi Racing’s Lucas di Grassi said:
“The Gen3 should set a new benchmark for high-performance electric vehicles and the technology used within the car truly is groundbreaking. From initially being unable to complete a whole race distance in Gen1 to soon having the ability to produce 40% of a race’s energy usage through regenerative braking alone is incredible. This milestone shows the progress that Formula E has made and the impact the series has had on the automotive industry. I can’t wait to get my first taste of the Gen3 and experience its performance first hand.”
- Fastest Formula E car yet with a top speed over 322 kph / 200 mph.
- Most efficient formula racing car ever with more than 40% of the energy used within a race produced by regenerative braking.
- Around 95% power efficiency from an electric motor delivering up to 350kW of power (470BHP), compared to approximately 40% for an internal combustion engine.
- First-ever formula car with both front and rear powertrains. A new front powertrain adds 250kW to the 350kW at the rear, more than doubling the regenerative capability of the current Gen2 to a total of 600kW.
- Ultra-high speed charging capability of 600kW for additional energy during a race, almost double the power of the most advanced commercial chargers in the world.
- The first formula car that will not feature rear hydraulic brakes with the addition of the front powertrain and its regenerative capability.
- Gen3 batteries are among the most advanced, sustainable batteries ever made consisting of sustainably-sourced minerals while battery cells will be reused and recycled at end of life.
- Linen and recycled carbon fibre will be used in bodywork construction for the first time in a formula car featuring recycled carbon fibre from retired Gen2 cars and reducing the overall amount of virgin carbon fibre used. This will reduce the carbon footprint of the production of the Gen3 bodywork more than 10%. All waste carbon fibre will be reused for new applications through adoption of an innovative process from the aviation industry.
- Natural rubber and recycled fibres will make up 26% of new Gen3 tyres and all tyres will be fully recycled after racing.
- The carbon footprint of the Gen3 has been measured from the design phase to inform all reduction measures taken to reduce environmental impact, while all unavoidable emissions will be offset as part of Formula E’s net zero carbon commitment.
- All Gen3 suppliers will operate in line with top international standards to reduce environmental impacts of manufacturing (ISO 14001) and be FIA Environmental Accreditation 3-Star rated.
“Both technologically and environmentally, Gen3 sets new standards in the sport. The FIA and Formula E development teams have done a superb job, and I thank them for their hard work on this project. I am delighted to see so many leading manufacturers already signed up to the championship’s next era and await Gen3’s competitive debut in Season 9 with great anticipation.”
“Monaco is the spiritual home of motorsport and there is nowhere more fitting to unveil our Gen3 race car. The Gen3 disrupts and challenges the conventions of motorsport, setting the benchmark for performance, efficiency and sustainability without compromise.“Together with the FIA, we are proud to reveal the Gen3 to Formula E fans and demonstrate to the wider sports industry how elite sport, high performance and sustainability can successfully co-exist in the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship. We cannot wait to see how our teams and drivers push the car to its limit in 2023.”
“The Gen3 represents the ambitious third age of Formula E and the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship. With every generation of race car we push the boundaries of possibility in EV technology further and the Gen3 is our most ambitious project to date. The eyes of the world are on the Principality for the Monaco E-Prix and we are proud to reveal a car that been two years in the making in the historic home of motorsport. My thanks go to the great team behind it at Formula E and the FIA – the future of all electric racing is bright.”