Chip Ganassi says that if seven-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series driver Jimmie Johnson feels like he wants to compete in the Indianapolis 500 in 2022 he is willing to run a fifth car at next year’s race. Johnson who is competing for Chip Ganassi Racing in the NTT IndyCar Series in road and street course events this year with Tony Kanaan running the oval program will be at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway next weekend working with NBC.
Speaking during a team press conference at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Fast Friday, Ganassi said that he felt bad that Johnson was not on stage with the rest of the Ganassi gang as he is a member of the team too.
Chip Ganassi said that while some of his competitors, IndyCar is an avocation as they have other businesses that allow them to go racing, for him, racing is a vocation and has nothing else and as long as the sponsorship is there he will expand to a five-car programme for Johnson it the right commercial opportunity arises.
Ganassi has led two of the three days of testing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway so far this week with Scott Dixon in the No.9 PNC Bank Honda and Tony Kanaan in the No.48 American Legion Honda. Kanaan who is attempting to qualify for his 20th Indianapolis 500 and says he feels really confident about how the car feels going into Fast Friday and the qualifying this weekend.
Chip Ganassi said that he doesn’t buy into the notion of the youth movement in IndyCar and pointed to Scott Dixon who leads the championship heading into next weekend’s 105th running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge but not only that he is a six-time and defending series champion.
Ganassi has been impressed with how his team have started the 2021 season with Scott Dixon and Alex Palou 1-2 in the championship and he believes that anyone of his four drivers has an opportunity to win the Indianapolis 500.