Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports James Hinchcliffe in the No.5 Arrow Electronics Honda was the biggest moving in Sunday’s 103rd running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge.

The mayor of HinchTown started the race from 32nd and made his way through the field to finish the event in 11th place.

Hinch had the biggest save of the day going down the middle of two cars who spun out in a crash and speaking following the race he said:

Honestly, it was a hell of a day for the Arrow Peterson Schmidt guys. I really wanted that top-10. We were sitting there near the end, but TK (Tony Kanaan), famous for his restarts, just snookered us there. We got boxed in and I couldn’t make a move. From where we started, we kept our nose clean all day, smart decisions on the racetrack, pass when we could, patient when we needed to be, and great strategy in the pits. We made the most of what we had today. It was a great comeback for the guys. On the first stint, the thing was really dialed in. Then the track temps got hotter, we lost a little bit of front-end. The cloud cover came and went; we were up and down with the changes on the stops. The car was in a pretty good window the whole time. We were just fine-tuning. Thanks to all the engineers. It was a solid run for us. (close to accidents) I got away twice. I actually white-walled in the first stint coming off Turn 4, hit pretty hard and was lucky enough not to bend anything. When the wreck happened at the north end, I was slowing down but Hunter-Reay also slowed at the same time and he was low so I couldn’t go there. After Charlie (Kimball) spun, he rolled back just enough for us to sneak through the middle – a little too close for comfort but we got through it. Not quite a top-10, but we’re pretty damn proud of that.”

Jack Harvey in the No.60 AutoNation Sirius XM Honda ended the race in 21st and speaking following the race he said:

“We started 25th and finished 21st, but it was a very trying day. This was the most challenging Indianapolis 500 that I have been a part of. We started off the month with a podium at the INDYCAR Grand Prix, and we were hoping to continue that momentum into the Indianapolis 500. Halfway through the race, I thought the car was going to end up in the wall because of how unbalanced it felt. We didn’t have the pace that we had all month in practice, and during the race is when you need it the most. It was an overall average result and an average day.”

Oriol Servia had the most uneventful 500 he has had coming home in 23rd place and speaking following the race he said:

It was the most uneventful 500 I have ever had. Anti-climactic. We came in for the first stop, and we had a problem with the left front – the wheel nut fell under the car – so it took the guys a few extra seconds, obviously. That put us back behind the leaders, which usually is not a big deal in a 500-mile race, so at that point I wasn’t too upset. It was early in the race, and we’d get our lap back. Somehow, the way the race played out with the yellows – it was a long, long stretch without yellows, only until the end – it meant that we could never get our lap back. I was in no man’s land, sitting. At one point I had the speed of the leaders, I was behind (Simon) Pagenaud, (Ed) Carpenter, the whole steam, my car was great. At that point I still hoped that we were going to get our lap back, and I knew I had a car to fight with the winners. We just never got the lap back. Honestly, it feels like I had a decaf coffee, not a regular coffee, it was never a real race. So frustrating. Anyway, I’m proud of the work we did the whole month, the team did great, the car was great … it was just not our day. I hope we have another chance to redeem ourselves.”

In his first Indianapolis 500 Marcus Ericsson in the No.7 Arrow Electronics Honda ended the race in 23rd place and speaking following the event he said:

The Arrow car was really good all day, and the guys had really good pit stops. Up until I did that mistake at pit entry, we were looking really good. We were running in the top eight most of the time, plus or minus a few positions, but really in the race like we were hoping and planning on. I just pushed a bit too hard and locked up the rears. Obviously after that, our race was pretty much over, but we still kept fighting. The car was still really good after that, and I was able to race and finish the race, so that was a great feeling to finish and get the checkered flag. Obviously, I’m disappointed for the guys because they put in so much work all month, and I was hoping to get us a better result.”

Share This