Chip Ganassi Racing announced on Wednesday following months of speculation that they run two cars in the Verizon IndyCar Series in 2018.
In a statement released by the team they said:
Chip Ganassi Racing has experienced much success so far in 2017. In the just concluded INDYCAR season Scott Dixon and the No. 9 team competed for a championship and ultimately finished third in the standings. Both CGR NASCAR Cup teams are in the Playoffs as well as the No. 48 XFINITY team. Both of our Ford GT programs in IMSA and WEC are also competing for championships. Despite the success we are experiencing, we have decided to return our INDYCAR program back to two cars beginning with the 2018 season.
Scott Dixon who drives the No.9 NTT DATA Honda finished the 2017 Verizon IndyCar Series season in third place in the standings and speaking about the decision to down size the IndyCar programme, team owner Chip Ganassi said:
We will be returning to a two car team beginning in 2018 with Scott Dixon in the No. 9 and a yet to be determined second driver in the No. 10. This decision was based on the fact that we felt we needed to get back to our core business of running TWO championship caliber teams. It was a tough decision to make as it affects a lot of people. With news like this comes contraction and as such we had to let a number of good people go. The decision was not taken lightly but we felt it was best for our business. It is one of the toughest things you experience as a business owner – especially because I am all too aware that it is the people that make any company tick. We will be back in 2018 and ready to compete for our 12th INDYCAR championship.
The 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series season gets underway on March 11 with the Firestone Grand Prix of St Petersburg.