Defending NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Larson in the No.5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet took victory in Sunday’s Dixie Vodka 400 at Miami Speedway. Larson who is out of the championship Play-Offs for this season, won both stages and led 199 of 267 laps.
Speaking following the race he said:
“No matter what team I’ve been with, things haven’t worked out on my end to get a win, so glad to get one today. Definitely the best run we’ve had all year long. “We’ve been capable of it I feel like many weekends, we just hadn’t quite put it all together. [Crew chief] Cliff [Daniels] gave a great speech this morning and got us all ready to go and focused.
“Amazing race car.
Larson went on to say:
“I was just going behind him and he had a hard left and was hard on the brakes at the same time and I got into the back of him. “My team said he was late getting into his stall. I don’t know. If it was my fault I’m sorry, but I don’t think it was. It’s hard to see on this pit road. .. hate that happened. He was definitely the one I was going to have to beat.”
Joe Gibbs Racing’s Martin Truex Jr was sixth and speaking following the action he commented saying:
It’s really hard to see through these windshields with the sun like that and all the stuff covering it,’’ Truex said. “I did see my box late for sure, so I slowed down before I turned out of the way of the 5 (Larson) there.
“Partly on me, I didn’t expect to get turned around and glad nobody got hurt there. Overall, just tough, just disappointing to have a good day going like that and have a shot at winning and couldn’t close the deal. I hate it for my team.
“It’s been one of those years.”
- (5) Kyle Larson (P), Chevrolet, 267.
- (20) Ross Chastain (P), Chevrolet, 267.
- (10) AJ Allmendinger(i), Chevrolet, 267.
- (32) Austin Dillon, Chevrolet, 267.
- (9) Brad Keselowski, Ford, 267.
- (12) Martin Truex Jr., Toyota, 267.
- (14) Denny Hamlin (P), Toyota, 267.
- (16) Kevin Harvick, Ford, 267.
- (11) Kyle Busch, Toyota, 267.
- (23) Daniel Suarez, Chevrolet, 267.
- (2) Christopher Bell (P), Toyota, 267.
- (1) William Byron (P), Chevrolet, 267.
- (8) Chris Buescher, Ford, 267.
- (3) Chase Elliott (P), Chevrolet, 267.
- (27) Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Chevrolet, 267.
- (18) Michael McDowell, Ford, 267.
- (13) Ryan Blaney (P), Ford, 267.
- (17) Joey Logano (P), Ford, 267.
- (26) Austin Cindric #, Ford, 267.
- (21) Harrison Burton #, Ford, 267.
- (28) Aric Almirola, Ford, 267.
- (6) Ty Gibbs(i), Toyota, 267.
- (31) Corey LaJoie, Chevrolet, 267.
- (25) Cole Custer, Ford, 266.
- (24) Noah Gragson(i), Chevrolet, 266.
- (30) Ty Dillon, Chevrolet, 266.
- (4) John Hunter Nemechek(i), Toyota, 266.
- (15) Justin Haley, Chevrolet, 266.
- (33) Landon Cassill(i), Chevrolet, 266.
- (22) Erik Jones, Chevrolet, 264.
- (29) Todd Gilliland #, Ford, 264.
- (34) JJ Yeley(i), Ford, 263.
- (35) BJ McLeod(i), Ford, 262.
- (36) Cody Ware, Ford, 262.
- (7) Tyler Reddick, Chevrolet, Accident, 242.
- (19) Chase Briscoe (P), Ford, Accident, 160.