Racing Point Force India F1 Team driver Esteban Ocon has been named as Mercedes AMG PETRONAS F1 Team test and reserve driver for the 2019 Formula One season.
Mercedes Team Principal and CEO Toto Wolff confirmed the news on Friday in Abu Dhabi. Wolff said:
The plans are pretty clear,” said Wolff. “He is going to be pretty close to the Mercedes team – he will be our reserve driver and third driver. We hope to do the odd test with him, we are looking at pre-season and in-season but it’s not sorted out yet.
Wolff went on to say:
He will do a lot of time in the simulator to make sure that he is ready.
Speaking to the media on Thursday, Ocon said that he would remain immersed in the Formula One paddock next season and the announcement today confirms that.
Ocon will be replaced at the Racing Point Force India Formula One team by Williams Martini Racing’s Lance Stroll whose father led a consortium to purchase the Silverstone based outfit earlier this season.