Reigning Verizon IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon driving the No.9 Coca-Cola Chevrolet this weekend had what he described as a slow start to his weekend following a tough opening day of track action for the New Zealander and the Ganassi team at Barber Motorsports Park.

In the opening session, Dixon ended up in 10th place while in the second session he ended up in ninth and speaking following the on track activity, Dixon commented by saying:

It was kind of a slow start today for us. The field is really, really tight. We were working on the balance of the Coke car here at Barber in the morning session. It rained a lot this afternoon and we let the others go out while the track was drying. Overall I think our car is improving but we still have a little way to go to get it where it needs to be for Sunday. I think the front runners took tires at the end of the day so we should be up in the mix when it matters.

Max Chilton in the No.8 Gallagher car had a tough day too as the Englishman ended the day in 17th place and speaking following the session he commented by saying:

We spent the morning session working on the Gallagher car and really just tried to get it to my liking. It’s kind of floating around there underneath me so we have some work to do. This is one of the few tracks I was able to test at in the preseason and I know my teammates have gotten some good results here, especially Scott. I hope we can learn from today and move forward to get the car going in the right direction for tomorrow.

Tony Kanaan in the No.10 NTT Data Chevrolet was forced to write off his morning session due to battery voltage issue while in the second session he ended up in 14th place and speaking following the session he commented by saying:

We had some electrical issues this morning in the first practice so we weren’t able to run near as much as we wanted to. I think we ended up running five or six laps and we had to spend the last 20 minutes trying to fix the issue. The team was able to get everything fixed during the break and we were good to go for the second practice. Thankfully the track dried up after the rain this afternoon and we were able to log some laps and get some solid qualifying runs in. We aren’t completely happy with the qualifying setup but we know what we need to change to run in tomorrow’s morning session and prepare for qualifying tomorrow afternoon.

In the opening session this morning Charlie Kimball in the No.83 Tresiba® was 18th fastest while in the afternoon session he ended the day in 21st place and speaking following the action he commented by saying:

Honestly, today was probably one of the more frustrating days I’ve ever had in an Indy car. We couldn’t find the balance and we really struggled to find grip. We tried a few different things and just went in circles. We need to really look hard tonight and figure out what direction we need to go in for tomorrow’s practice session to prepare for qualifying. I’m very confident in the Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing guys and I know we’ll get it figured out, but it just kind of feels like we’re chasing our tails at the moment.

Share This