McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown says that the team didn’t deserve to be in the field for this weekend’s 103rd running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge but Fernando Alonso did.
Speaking to Sky Sports F1HD ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix this weekend, Brown said:
I thought long and hard about how much do I share with the world, but we were so far off and made so many mistakes and have so many great fans and partners and the racing team, I felt it was important people understood a little bit what went on behind the scenes.
“I think the cover up is always worse than the crime and I wasn’t going to cover it up. I think people needed to hear it, as embarrassing as it was.”
Fernando Alonso was bumped from the field by Juncos Racing’s Kyle Kaiser on Sunday while on Monday, Bob Fernley left his position as McLaren Racing IndyCar president.
Brown said that there were red flags pretty early on and the mistakes that were made just need more mistakes.
The American admitted that the failure to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 was the worst moment of his 25 year career in motorsport.