Williams Martini Racing’s Chief Technical Officer Paddy Lowe has revealed that Robert Kubica’s upcoming test with the Grove based outfit at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi will be used to assess whether or not the injuries he suffered would affect his chances of a Formula One comeback.
The former Renault Sport F1 Team driver suffered severe injuries including a partially severed hand following a horrendous rally crash several years ago which ended his career in Formula One.
Kubica conducted a number of successful tests with the Enstone based outfit earlier this year which included a run up the hill at the Goodwood Festival of Speed over the Summer.
Speaking ahead of Sunday’s season finale, Lowe said:
Robert is an impressive guy,” said Lowe.
“We all saw how he operated in Formula 1 in the past – he’s a great driver, very professional, very committed, enthusiastic, very intelligent. He’s an exciting prospect, that’s why we’re looking at him.
Lowe went on to say that they tested Kubica in a 2014 Williams car with no problems and now they are focused on next week with the 2017 car as he conducts the Pirelli test. Once the test is over they will evaluate and assess how the Pole did and go from there.
Speculation in the paddock is rife with reports that Kubica has already signed already agreed a two year contract to drive with Williams however the signing of the contracts has been delayed as a result of insurance payouts to Kubica following his accident. It is believed that this money must be paid back before any agreement can be reached.
Paddock Eye understands that Williams will make an announcement about who will partner Lance Stroll next season in the next two weeks.